Anybody can & will stress upon the fact that smoking is a no-no during your pregnancy and even post pregnancy till you are breast-feeding. This exposes your baby to nicotine, carbon monoxide and cyanide, lead, at least 60 other cancer-causing compounds &tar within the womb; which in turn lessens the oxygen supply to baby, creating birth defects and a low birth weight. Nicotine and carbon monoxide together reduces your baby’s supply of oxygen.Â This shortage can have devastating effect on the babyâ€™s growth, development & sometimes the total existence.
How Can I Quit Smoking Before or During Pregnancy?
Consult with your health care provider for information on smoking cessation programs. Following are the few tips that may be of assistance;
- Designate your home a non-smoking area.
- Keep mints or gum (preferably sugarless) on hand for those times when you get the urge to smoke.
- Do not go to places where many people are smoking such as bars or clubs, and smoking sections of restaurants.
- Ask your friends/relatives not to smoke in front of you
- Keep your mind off smoking and help relieve tension: take a walk , read a book, or try a new a hobby.
- January 20, 2016
- 16 Comment