Children look forward to Summer Holidays and all the fun they can have. Right from eating ice-cream to visiting friends and relatives, the entire summer vacation is packed with interesting things to do. Kids of all ages enjoy various indoor and outdoor activities, be it hobbies, sports or adventure and keeping them safe and healthy is every parent’s responsibility. Here are a few tips that ensure your peace of mind and your kids wellbeing as they enjoy their summer vacation.
All Heat related problems are caused when the body’s temperature control system gets overloaded. Kids and healthy adults too may fall sick if they participate in any strenuous activity in hot weather. Prevention is the best defense for heat related problems.
- Dress up your kids in loose, light weight and light coloured clothing.
- Cover up your body parts against the harsh UV Rays
- Use sunscreen with SPF15
- Wear Sunglasses to protect your eyes from UV Rays
- Schedule outdoor activities for the mornings or evenings
- Resort to cool showers instead of hot or warm baths
- Never ever leave your kid or pet in a parked car, even with the windows partly open
- Seek immediate medical attention if your child shows symptoms of heat related illness such as, headache, cold sweats, exhaustion, nausea and/or vomiting, and diarrhea.
It is essential for kids and adults to follow the below mentioned measures for health and fitness during the hot summer months.
- Always stay hydrated– Replace sugary sports drinks and colas with water; add slices of fresh fruit to water for a tasty and refreshing drink.
- Eat Right– Make sure to fill up half of your plate with fruits and veggies. Avoid stale food, and be sure to pickup sweetmeats from known vendors. Road-side stalls are best avoided.
- Water Bottles – Avoid drinking water from public sources and in restaurants. Make sure to carry your own water bottle and offer a cup if anyone needs water rather than sharing the bottle itself.
- Never skip breakfast– breakfast being the most important meal of the day, eat nutritious food that supports your day-long physical activity. Plan your breakfast so that it aids your bone, muscle and brain growth. A bowl of oatmeal, with fresh fruit & almonds, along with some scrambled eggs and a cold glass of milk is an idea of a good breakfast.
- Stay Active!– A minimum of 60 minutes of daily physical activity is recommended for all children. Enjoyable activities like swimming, riding your bike and playing sports with your friends is a fun way to stay active.
- Get plenty of rest– during the hot summer months, make sure you get plenty of sleep. Rest is important to prevent heat exhaustion. While playing outdoors, take frequent shaded breaks. Getting 8-10 hours of sleep every night is important for recuperation and growth.
Image courtesy: https://www.theodysseyonline.com (main image) http://cartoonsmix.com http://firstpost.com Pinterest
- Sheetal Bidaye
- May 22, 2017
- 0 Comment